Friday, September 3, 2010

Blog Post 2

Did You Know?
I was amazed at the information shared during this short movie. It's almost scary to know how much our world is growing and the rate of which it's growing. After watching, I immediately thought of my children and the information and technology that will be available to them. What is difficult for me to do on a computer will be second nature to them.

Mr. Winkle Wakes?
I enjoyed this short movie. I think it is very important that society needs to adapt to new technology and embrace the growth of it. The days of teaching out of a book or lecturing in front of a podium are coming to an end. It's true some people, if not most, do not like change but change is happening faster than most realize. I think educating our children in technology is only preparing them for the future.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
There is just one thing to say about this movie. I AGREE, I AGREE, I AGREE. I believe Sir Ken Robinson hit the nail on the head by stating how important creativity is and how we ,as educators, should support and encourage our students to express what comes natural. Creativity is so important. I can't imagine what the world would be like without someone's creativity and imagination. Ancient tribes and the Egyptian's as well as thousands of other cultures all around the world have left their fingerprint on the world by their creative expressions. A reflection of life is simply through creativity. No one person sees any one thing the same. Besides the basic needs of food, water and shelter, I believe that education, creativity and imagination are all equal components that is needed to sustain life.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Student's Digital Smarts
Vicki Davis has become my new inspiration! What an amazing woman!! I would love to adopt her way of teaching. I believe the children in "her classroom setting" learn more and work more than in the traditional classroom setting. Her students seemed more engaged, learned more about teamwork and learned more about different cultures by visiting people from all around the world without leaving their classroom. The students were able to express their creativeness in so many different ways. I thought this movie was a great combination of all of the other three movies. You are able to visualize how fast the world is changing through technology by just seeing their classroom. You are able to see the non-traditional way of teaching. Most importantly, the students are able to be creative and express themselves more than just staring at a book and note pad.

3 comments:

  1. Great observations Darlene!

    I liked what you said about change. Change is coming whether we like it or not. And I don't think its because of technology. I think it is because change is inevitable because it is part of the natural progression of things. Refusal to change is only a waste of time.

    Your blog looks excellent! Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darlene,
    The student I was assigned to comment on this week has not posted, so I decided to comment on yours. I agree that the rate in which the world is growing is a little scary. My son, who is 7, can already do more on a computer than some people my age! The amount of technology that children today need to be familiar with is slightly overwhelming! When you said "The days of teaching out of a book or lecturing in front of a podium are coming to an end," is so true. With all the technology out there, the possibilities and opportunities our children are provided today, are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the importance of creativity too! That video was very good, and really made me think about how schools sometimes do tend to forget that children are creative and have so many different ways to show it!

    ReplyDelete