Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog Post 4

Don't Teach Your Kids this Stuff, Please? by Scott McLeod
Dr. Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor at the University of Iowa. He believes in public schools and the advancement of technology. His concern is that the public education system (teaching) is not advancing as quick as the technology making it a danger to our students. Dr. McLeod is on a mission to create a new paradigm that works.

I enjoyed his blog and his sarcastic positioning of his post. His post expresses that parents, teachers, administrators, and board members should not teach their children technology. He points out the danger of technology and the incorrect use. Although there are people that share these views I believe in the advancement of technology. I believe we should teach our students and children the importance of the internet and technology and the proper use of it. We need to educate our children and students of the dangers and be more proactive in their viewing and create more restrictions to help ensure their safety.  I posted as a future educator, I will do my part in making the learning experience of technology as safe and healthy as possible.

The iSchool Initiative 
The video and the age of the creator is impressive. Developing the iSchool Initiative is an interesting concept. Having an entire school literally in the palm of your hand would be amazing. Using aps to assist with everything from talking notes, reading books, and doing scientific calculations is great.

Although the idea is impressive, I have to wonder if our society and schools are prepared to make such a drastic transformation. I don't agree that this would be a great concept to embrace. Although I believe in the advancement of technology and the use of technology in the classroom, there are several aspects that are important in the development of humans. It is necessary to socially interact with each other (body to body). It is important to embrace and experience different cultures. It is important to learn teamwork by working hand in hand (physically). An individual's character is determined by what he or she experiences in life in which the majority of these experiences arise in school. I also feel that everyone learns differently. Not every student will have the determination to be self started. While technology may come second nature to one student it may also choose to be an impossible feat for another. Having our whole world be virtual may be the future but I hope not.

The Lost Generation
Bravo!! I loved this video! The imagination of not only the unique technique that was used but the most powerful words spoken. I have shared this with my family and friends and all agree with the message that was presented. The delivery was brilliant!!


Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir
After watching this video I was speechless! It amazes me that people believe technology is not our future. Jennifer Chamber's post was even more impressive because it provided a brief history of the video. It is astonishing to me how 185 people that have never met or preformed together put a youtube video together that sounded remarkable.

1 comment:

  1. Socially interact (body to body). Be careful. Some of the people Dr.McLeod were talking about just got nervous!

    I have learned more about several cultures where I have never visited through the net. Yes, if I go there I learn more. But I cannot afford to go everywhere. So the net adds a lot!

    Bravo! Speechless. Glad you enjoyed them. And probably not everything will be virtual. But learning will be in large part I think. And soon too!

    ReplyDelete