Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post 10


Morgan Bayda's Blog with a summary post and video of Dan Brown.

Morgan Bayda had a wonderful blog. There were many things that she mentioned that I agree with. She talked about using different types of technology in her class. She mentioned PLNs, Twitter and blogs. She also talked about using multimedia.

She shared a great video on her blog that I also agree with. The video was done by Dan Brown and his opinions of schools and their need to change. Dan said that society is in the "information age" and our schools and educators need to embrace it. We need to change they way we teach our students.

This day and time the students respond so well to technology. It's seems like it's more of the teachers that have the insecurities and the willingness to learn, adapt, and change. I know there are fifth graders that know more about different types of technology than I do. I am having to work harder it seems to catch up to what comes second nature to them.

I do not agree with Dan dropping out of college. While college may seem overrated to some I think it is a must for me. I love to learn from direct professionals regarding the field I am entering. True, I could probably get the same connection online; however, I prefer to get one on one attention in person. I like putting the face and personality to the instructor.


 Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencil's Home!

I enjoyed reading this blog. I think we are often so quick to focus on the problem and not the solution. I loved that he used "pencils" as his example. I think teaching and learning are more than grades and test scores. Anyone can memorize something short term to make a good grade on a test. I think we need to focus more on getting our students involved, interacting more with technology, be more creative and change our style of teaching to accommodate the new revolution of the information age.


Two Questions That Can Change Your Life by Daniel Pink  
   
Daniel Pink made a great video asking "what is your sentence?". For some the sentence comes easy and for others, well, they are still thinking. Mine, luckily comes easy. My sentence has always been: She was kind and always helpful and always loved learning something new. Clare Booth Luce, one of the first women in Congress, states that every great man is a sentence. President Lincoln's sentence was "He preserved the union and freed the slaves". President Roosevelt sentence was "He He lifted us out of a great depression and helped us win a world war". Daniel said Luce worried Kennedy was trying to do too many things and that his sentence risked becoming a muddled paragraph. I think we should always go back to our sentence and make sure it stands for who we are and that we never let it become a muddled paragraph.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: