Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler
I think Wendy Drexler's movie was very good and I loved the little stick figure she used. I think networking is great for our students. I network through Facebook and now branching out to other networking sites. I think networking is a great way for student's to connect with other students, especially for specific assignments.
I know several students in high school that network. They use networking to do everything from classwork, group projects, making new friends or simply keeping in touch with their family and friends.  Most of this is done on their own and I think if more teachers would incorporate it in their classroom their learning experience would improve dramatically. 
It does take a lot of time to find all the sites and set everything up. The movie made everything so simple but in reality it is quite time consuming to find sites, videos, groups, etc. to follow. I would love to hear from other teachers that are currently networking in their classrooms so I can possibly learn of ways to save time and learn the best way to network for my students.
A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
I loved the way this 7th grader had her PLE laid out. Ms. Drexler did a great job teaching her. She seems very organized and in touch with everything that is going on in her class. I think teaching our students to have a PLE is a great idea. I think students would become more productive, more engaged, and be more organized. Having all of the apps on one page is great. A simple click and the student can do anything.

The Machine is (Changing) Us by M. Welsch
I thought the Personal Democracy Forum by Dr. Wesch was very interesting. I have not personally used Youtube a lot. I normally watch home videos that people have posted. For me, it was a great way to entertain myself when nothing good is on tv. Since I have started this class I have been playing more and researching more on Youtube. Wow, people post anything. Dr. Wesch makes several great comments about how people post things and communicate because people can choose to be anonymous or they can choose to be heard. Media does impact our conversations. I loved the hand messages that was shown in the video. The "machine" is changing us and I hope it provides a positive movement just like the free hugs and the hand messages. I love the "coming together" of society.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! Networking is a way to definitely enhance the learning experience for students. I think students will be empowered through their own personal networking, and also feel very accomplished once they have mastered the networking technique
    I also agree that the video makes networking seem very simple, and to many its not, like me. I have had difficulty building my personal learning network.
    I also love the "coming together" of society, and I do think it should happen all the time. I hope the "machine" can change our society for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Darlene!

    This seventh grader is impressive. I think this type of activity is the next step. We are all a part of the evolutionary process of education. Today we have new tools and so we use them to provide students the best education we can. Tomorrow the tools will be new again and we want you to be ready to go with the flow and have the right attitude to continue learning and keep your students on the cutting edge of what will give them the best opportunities to succeed.

    Your blog looks great. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete