Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blog Post 8




This Is How We Dream by Richard Miller

I enjoyed watching this video. I think Richard Miller expresses a good point about where we used to be, studying in libraries and using textbooks, to where we are going, the unimaginable. People used to spend hours in libraries studying and now people can grasp anything via the web in a matter in seconds.
Richard Miller also showed several documents that he put together that intrigues me. It's amazing all the different types of text, images, and film that he used. His example of Dr. Martin Luther King was incredible. Documents like this are our future.

It is mind-boggling to me how we are in such an enormous transition in technology. To think we can make simple documents and writings move, have audio and several images and text collectively is incredible. Richard Miller made an accurate statement that our society is changing and we need inspiring teachers with teaching visual literacy to help bridge the gap. Our would is changing through technology and I can't wait to be a part of it!

EDM310 is Different

In EDM310 is Different, the Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies I had some of the same issues. At first I was overwhelmed. I had no idea where to start. I read the syllabus and instruction manual and got more confused and stressed out. I had no idea how I was going keep all the assignments organized. The primary message is to not be overwhelmed and embrace the class and you will be amazed at what you learn.

The first two weeks were an adjustment. As time went on I fell into the grove of things and found myself learning more and inspiring to be more simply because of this class. Prior to EDM310 I had not thought much about technology in the classroom and now I can't find enough information. I want to be the teacher that keeps her student's involved and interacts with some of the best technology that is available. I have joined Classroom 2.0 to collaborate and learn from teachers that use technology in their classrooms. I am finding out what they are using and what works, what does not work and how the student's respond.

I would to create videos on the research that I have found in regards to technology in the classroom and information that has been passed to me from virtual networking and localized networking. I have been given helpful tips from teachers from all over about types of technology they use in their classroom and where they think technology is heading in our schools.

Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative by Michael Straton and Why I Hate Interactivev Whiteboards by Bill Ferriter

Michael Straton's Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative and Bill Ferriter, Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards are interesting posts to read. I do not agree with either one. I personally believe interactive whiteboards are awesome. All the teachers I have talked to said they love their interactive whiteboards and their students respond so well to it. The students have an increased desire to learn. The teachers I talked to used Symbaloo to incorporate different videos and web images into their lectures. They had the students come to the board to work out math problems while using other interactive tools that made learning math more enjoyable.

I went to my son's PTO meeting at his school and all the parents were instructed to stay in their child's classroom instead of heading to the school gymnasium. After viewing the classroom, the work my son had created and spoke to his teacher, the principal came over the intercom and announced that every parent needed to remain in the classroom for the presentation. The principal used the Promethean boards that were in each class for the presentation. During the slide show the principal showed all the testing schools over the past several years and the amazing improvement the student's had made. I noticed that the scores were low before each class received the Promethean boards and a tremendous improvement afterward. This could be a coincidence but I don't think so. Children loved to be involved and technology is becoming second nature to them. I definitely intend on using them in my classroom.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. "...and I can't wait to be a part of it!" I hope you mean that. we will give writing with multimedia a try in Project 15.

    "I have joined Classroom 2.0 to collaborate and learn from teachers..." Fantastic

    "I would to create videos on the research that I have found in regards to technology in the classroom..." keep that in mind for Project 15. An excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smartboards and I can't wait to use them in my classroom. They can really benefit from using the smartboards because it gives them some interaction in technology and using it to their benefit.

    ReplyDelete