Saturday, November 6, 2010

Blog Post 11



I thought that the Skype interview between Ms. Cassidy and Dr. Strange was interesting and impressive. Ms. Cassidy is the teacher I would like to become. I love how she took the initiative to form a plan to get the students involved with the computers she was given without the use of programs. She taught herself how to create websites and use blogs and then how to apply them to her classroom for her students to use.

Watching the video of her first graders, I was amazed at all the different types of technology they use in her class. You can genuinely tell that her students love her class. You can see their excitement in the video! I loved that they children blog, Skype, uses Wiki and other types of technology. They made comments how their writing improved the more they blogged. They also enjoyed using the Wiki's and especially liked the alphabet that the EDM310 student's posted.

I plan to use all the technology Ms. Cassidy uses. I think it's a great to have all of these wonderful tools the children can interact with. These tools help make learning much more enjoyable. I will educate my students on the safety of the internet as Ms. Cassidy did with her students. She gave them great advice about never using their last names or pictures of themselves.

Ms. Cassidy has done a wonderful job and I will be following her blog to learn more. I can't wait to see what she has her children use next. 

4 comments:

  1. As I watched this video, I was also very amazed at what these first graders were learning to do. I thought that Mrs. Cassidy was a great teacher and you could tell that she really loved what she did for her job. It was amazing to see that these first graders were blogging with other students and knew what skype was. I agree that all these tools that Mrs. Cassidy is showing her class, will make her students want to learn so much more. Mrs. Cassidy did do a great job of telling her students to never reveal their names or a piture of them. That is great advice for everyone, because their is so much crime in this world now. I loved watching all of this, I hope to be a great teacher like Mrs. Cassidy one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of people can you see your class skyping? How will you get in touch with them? have you taken any strides already to start making those connections? It's never too early to start! I heard a quote today that went something like, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." I think its right on track with us and our lofty goals of revolutionizing the education system. THE TIME IS NOW! I want a revolution and I want it now! :-D

    Good work Darlene. I think it would be interesting to skype your boyfriend in the company of a special ed/ close family friend of mine. I bet the conversation would be enlightening.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony,

    I can see my class Skyping professionals in a field that we are studying, eg. a meteorologist if we are studying the weather. I would contact one of our local television meteorologist to Skype with. I love your quote. We can't educate others unless we are educated. We have to prepare in order to successfully change. The revolution is here! It's a fast moving bus, the only thing that is determined is who is on the bus and who is dragging behind trying to catch it. I'm definitely on the bus!

    I would love to set up the Skype session. I will ask him and get back with you! Thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to note the importance of not having your students last names or other identifying information about them. Also I'm glad you got so excited about Ms. Cassidy's classroom! It is so great that we future teachers get so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete